WLAN/WWAN Connectivity via SDIO, SPI, UART & USB
WLAN/WWAN attach rates continue to grow as our society seeks to become 'always connected'.
WLAN is widely deployed at company sites and residential homes. With more and more hot spots becoming available at Starbucks, McDonald's, hotels and airports, Wi-Fi has become a low cost, high bandwidth alternative to cellular networks while on-the-go. In the mobile world, SDIO and SPI are most common interfaces to connect these chipsets to mobile processors due to the cost and board space improvements of having a lower pin count interface. With the emergence of 802.11n , the requirement of higher throughput also has made USB an attractive option for the host interface to a processor.
WWAN connectivity is also seeing huge increases due to cellular operators' desire to increase their average revenue per user through data plan subscriptions. Due to the higher data rates associated with new cellular standards such as HSPA, HSPA+, WiMAX, and LTE, the most commonly interface for connecting to these chipsets is USB.
QuickLogic offers a variety of USB Proven System Blocks (PSBs) that offer connectivity between cellular chipsets and mobile processors.
SDIO Solution Features:
- High speed SDIO host controller with clock frequency up to 52MHz
- Compliant with the latest Secure Digital 2.0 standard
- SPI, 1-bit and 4-bit modes
- Rx/Tx FIFOs for higher performance and throughput
- DMA Support for reducing processor bus utilization
High Speed SPI Solution Features:
- High speed SPI master controller with clock frequency up to 52MHz
- Low cost, low pin count Wireless connectivity solution
- Simple driver architecture customizable to enhance Wi-Fi performance
High Speed SPI Solution
High Speed USB Solution Features:
- Hi-speed USB 2.0 OTG with integrated high speed PHY
- 12-signal ULPI interface available through customizable building blocks
- 8 Kbyte SRAM on-chip buffer to improve data transfer performance
- Dedicated DMA controller to offload CPU from heavy data transfer and manipulation
High Speed USB Solution
High Speed UART Solution Features:
- Up to 4 Mbit/sec data rate
- Configurable baud rate customized for different application requirements
- Configurable flow control and FIFO access
- WiMAX provides fast data access for 4G handsets and data cards to deliver more media rich content to customers
- Wi-Fi offers low cost, high performance data access to smartphones, PMP, PND and data cards
- Wi-Fi enables voice over IP (VoIP) services such as Skype and instant messenger on portable devices
- Wi-Fi supports easy data synchronization such as inventory management, data collection in industrial and retail environment